The Monte | The Avant | The Vibe | The Talon | How-To's | Dad's Cars | The Others   


Timing Belt
Alignment
Reverse Indiglo Gauges
Replacing Sheet Metal
Purchase and History

None of my other cars have ever had an aftermarket gauge overlay available, so I decided to give them a try on the talon. I picked up a used set from a guy on 2gnt.com, and once they got here, I went to work. They consisted of a relay block of some form, a potentiometer and then four overlays. I first started by taking the two screws out of the gauge bezel; the bezel then pulled straight out. There are two clips in the bezel in the corners that hold it in.

   

I then removed the two screws that held the gauge cluster itself in (at the top), and then that also pulled straight out. It took some convincing before it would come out and clear the steering wheel.

   

After that, I dissassembled the gauge cluster. I didn't even need any tools for this step, it is all held together by clips. The overlays simply slide over the needles. In the case of the small overlays, you need to remove one small screw, and slid them underneathe the needle. I did not have to remove the needle for any of these.

   

Several people had said they needed to drill holes for the wires coming from the cluster. I did not have to anything like that; I simply passed them out near where the clips where, and snapped the top cover back on. No modifications necessary. After this, I went back to the car to actually hook up the rest of it. I pulled the cruise control panel off (no screws or anything), and there was a spare connector back there for some option I didn't have. I found the dimmer switch and ground in the harness using a test light, then wired them up. Positive was yellow w/black stripe, and I don't recall what the ground was.

   

What I did to was zip tie the control panel to the hood release cable under the dash, since I didn't need to worry about making adjustements all the time. I then ran the relay up behind the cruise control switch, and zip tied it up there. After that, I passed the connection wires through the dash and plugged them into the gauge cluster, and then convinced the gauge cluster to go back into the dash. I ran all the connections and wires across the top of the gauge cluster. I tested it, then put the bolts back in, then the gauge bezel.

   

Here's the finished product. I really like how it looks, I wish I could get the look in some of my other cars. The only complaints I have with it is a distinct electrical whine that is noticble when it is set to blue (although with any background noise you can't hear it), and that there are no markers on the speedo for 5 mph, only 10. The tach was also off for the non-turbo; the original tach was 8k and the overlay is for 9k. This took me about an hour to do, and I'd probably do it again since it only set me back $35.

[ Back ]

Home | Bio | Contact